Re: Encrypted wireless

Jason Rennie wrote:

Hello,

I have a wireless DSL router set up at home.  I currently don't use
encryption, so it's essentially a free-for-all and I've noticed some
freeloaders and the router doesn't provide any way to restrict access
other than by setting up encryption (side question: anyone know of a
wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?).  I tried
setting up 64-bit encryption and adding an entry in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.conf on my laptop.  No dice.  Anyone know what
the appropriate entry would look like?

Alternatively...

Can anyone suggest a tutorial/How-To on setting up wireless PCMCIA
cards to work on an encrypted wireless network?

Many thanks,

Jason

hi jason,

i also configure my wireless card (eth1) it through /etc/network/interface :

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
mapping hotplug
       script grep
       map eth0
       map eth1

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
#auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet dhcp
       wireless-essid BOB
       wireless-key ABC12398740AC2BD32FDAC107

when I plug the card or if i boot, hotplug scripts bring the interface up.

I use it with a netgear switch (802.11g) which support the mac-address restrictions. I was just a little disapointed to learn that encryption was not so difficult to break... but it seems to be common to all wireless device (protocol is buggy).