RE: How can I get all IP transactions (in/out) logged?

I am pretty sure freshmeat.net has a tool that uses iptables and puts it into a mysql database...try looking under "monitor" or "uptime" its there somewhere.

regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon [mailto:lorddissy@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 July 2004 10:17 a.m.
To: listcomm@ml1.net
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How can I get all IP transactions (in/out) logged?

Yes iptables can do this.  I know iptables can log to syslog, and
believe there are  ways to make it log to SQL, but I am unfamiliar
with those.

With syslog logging, you will also probably want to look into a syslog
replacement such as syslog-ng where you can separate log data to
multiple files much easier than the usual channels plain syslog
provides.

To do this you use the target -j LOG with one or two additional options:

iptables -A input -i ppp0 -j LOG --log-level debug --log-prefix "PACKETLOG-IN"
iptables -A output -o ppp0 -j LOG --log-level debug --log-prefix "PACKETLOG-OUT"
iptables -A forward -i ppp0 -j LOG --log-level debug --log-prefix "PACKETLOG-IN"
iptables -A forward -o ppp0 -j LOG --log-level debug --log-prefix
"PACKETLOG-OUT"

You can use whichever combination of the above four rules depending on
what you want to log.
#1 logs packets in ppp0 destined to the router/host machine
#2 logs packets out ppp0 sourced from the router/host machine
#3 logs packets in ppp0 destined to something else on your network
#4 logs packets out ppp0 sourced from something else on your network

--log-level has to be a valid syslog type (man syslog.conf)
--log-prefix is a 14 char string prepended to the log message.  This
can be changed to suit your needs, and I would suggest configuring
syslog-ng to pattern match for this string so you can store each
iptables rule's output in a separate file as needed.
You can have two files, in and out, each mixed no matter what its
to/from (as in my examples above) or have the forward and 'to router
host' separated, or any combinations you need.

These logs will get large the more data you pass.  If you store them
for say 24 hours and rotate them as you pass them off to some other
accounting/processing software (one that just stores summary info for
example) and bzip2's the logs, deleting after a couple days, this
shouldn't be bad on a dialup.

-- Jon