Re: Encrypted wireless

> Hello,
>
> I have a wireless DSL router set up at home.  I currently don't use
> encryption, so it's essentially a free-for-all and I've noticed some
> freeloaders and the router doesn't provide any way to restrict access
> other than by setting up encryption (side question: anyone know of a
> wireless router that can restrict access by MAC address?).  I tried
> setting up 64-bit encryption and adding an entry in
> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.conf on my laptop.  No dice.  Anyone know what
> the appropriate entry would look like?
>
> Alternatively...
>
> Can anyone suggest a tutorial/How-To on setting up wireless PCMCIA
> cards to work on an encrypted wireless network?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jason

Hi Jason,

to answer your first question, LinkSys routers, for example, can filter
clients by MAC addresses.

As to how to configure encryption, please have a look at this small script
that I use in my Debian laptop:

iwconfig eth1 essid XXXX mode Managed key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX \
	rate 5.5M auto
pump -i eth1

Cheers,
Peter O.