Re: danger - Re: cloning hdb4 to another machine

-----Original Message-----
From: Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com>
To: Wanda Round <wandaround@myrealbox.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: danger - Re: cloning hdb4 to another machine

hi ya wanda

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Wanda Round wrote:

> > mount 2omiles-away:/somedirectory /mnt/clone
> Boy do I feel confused. I'm blanking out on how to
> mount the distant hard drive when I can't network to
> it. (Dialup at home, NO permission at work)

on the 20miles away machine:
	- make sure /home is exported in /etc/exports
	- make sure it only allows nfs from your one ip# on your home pc

	- make sure IT at work knows about it

on the home pc
	- try the mount tests and ssh tests

	ssh you@20miles-away.domain.com date

[snip]

Alvin,

You'll remember that I'm just past real newbie--your
suggestions here have put my learning curve pretty
steep! I'll figure it out piece by piece.

The "IT department at work" is basically 2 guys who
think my answer is to scrap Linux and go back to the
warm womb of Microsoft.

I'll be working on all the great suggestions that
everyone here has given.

--
Wanda