Re: Apt-get upgrade for security announcement

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:52:54 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 13:49, Eric Walstad wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having trouble trying to apt-get update/upgrade my debian unstable
>> machine with the latest security fixes as advertised in the
>> debian-security-announce emails.  When I do:
>>
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get upgrade
>> dpkg -l | grep <package name>
>>
>> I find that the installed version of the package doesn't match what
>> advisory says is available.

[ snip security update instructions]

>> My question:
>> 1.  The emails imply that there are unstable packages avaialble.  If
>> so, how do I apt-get update/upgrade them?
>
> First of, your /etc/apt/sources.list has to include security.debian.org
> as a source.
>
> Line would look like:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> After you add that to your /etc/apt/sources.list, do what the
> instructions say.
>
> You may be surprised to find out how far behind you are.

Huh?  The poster said he was tracking *unstable*.  What you've said
is for installing security updates to stable, *not* for installing
the latest version of the relevant packages in unstable.

To the original poster:  I don't know how often you're running into
this, what sort of timeframe you're doing the upgrades on after
receiving the messages, etc.  But it's possible that the packages
in question simply haven't reached your mirror yet.  Wait 24 hours
and try again.  If that isn't it, dunno.

If the announcement's been out a day or two, and you've gone to
packages.debian.org and looked at what it says is the current
version in unstable, and it's of lower version number than the
version mentioned in the security update, then something weird's
going on at the Debian level.  But if it's there, but you're
not seeing it when you try to apt-get upgrade, then it's probably
something weird about your sources.list or the mirrors mentioned
in it.

-c

P.S. to Greg -- did you know your client is setting a "Reply-To:"
directly to your address when you post on the list?

		(remove "snip-me." to email)