Re: Apt-get upgrade for security announcement

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 13:49, Eric Walstad wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having trouble trying to apt-get update/upgrade my debian unstable
> machine with the latest security fixes as advertised in the
> debian-security-announce emails.  When I do:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> dpkg -l | grep <package name>
>
> I find that the installed version of the package doesn't match what
> advisory says is available.
>
> In the debian security announcements, the instructions for apt-get
> users say:
>
> -----
> For the unstable distribution (sid), CAN-YYYY-NNNN was fixed in
> version X.Y.ZZ.
>
> We recommend that you update your <Package Name> package.
>
> Upgrade Instructions
> - --------------------
> [...]
> If you are using the apt-get package manager, use the line for
> sources.list as given below:
>
> apt-get update
>         will update the internal database
> apt-get upgrade
>         will install corrected packages
>
> You may use an automated update by adding the resources from the
> footer to the proper configuration.
> -----
>
> My question:
> 1.  The emails imply that there are unstable packages avaialble.  If
> so, how do I apt-get update/upgrade them?

First of, your /etc/apt/sources.list has to include security.debian.org
as a source.

Line would look like:

deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

After you add that to your /etc/apt/sources.list, do what the
instructions say.

You may be surprised to find out how far behind you are.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux