SYSFS and ZIP

There have been several threads lately about ZIP drives, but none of them
appear to address SYSFS problems. While I'm not yet knowledgable about
SYSFS, I've been reading up, but I haven't found a solution yet. I was
hoping someone here would know at least where I should go to RTFM.

The problem seems to be that while my ATAPI-IDE ZIP 100 shows up properly
in dmesg (the kernel finds it on hdc, which is correct), it does not
appear in /sys (I should mention that I'm using the 2.6.6 directly from
sid). The only block devices listed are the one installed hard drive, and
16 RAM disks. Possibly also of note, the secondary IDE chain does appear
in /sys, but unlike the primary IDE it does not have a block device
associated with it.

It seems that somewhere between the startup messages and the /sys
directory, my ZIP drive disappears. Can someone please provide me with a
possible next step (my research got me here from thinking that it was a
mount problem at first, to thinking it was a udev problem, to this) or
recommend what additional information I should have included with this
post? If the latter, please be advised that there is presently a half-mile
cordon sanitaire between this computer and the nearest functional LAN, so
posting entire logs may be problematic at best.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle