Re: Urgent :Dual boot Debian+Mandrake with lilo

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:33:41AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Vijaya S wrote:
>
> >It didnt work Kent.
> >But it has to be mounted before i see it right
> >

> No; you don't need to mount your Mandrake partitions in order to change
> the /etc/lilo.conf file on your Debian side. Since Debian is the last OS
> installed, I'm assuming that your current lilo is from Debian, not
> Mandrake, so it's the Debian lilo that needs to be modified.

(1) I have a few questions about this, too.  In lilo.conf, you need to
specify the kernel that is to be run.  Is it not necessary to have
the partition containing the kernel to be mounted when you run lilo?
And don't you name it with the file name it has in the OS you're
running lilo in instead of the OS you will be booting that kernel into?

(2) This one's for curiosity only, because I will be replacing my Mandrake
soon (which I currently boot from floppy only).  When I installed
Mandrake, it used the device name /dev/hde for my hard disk.  I thought,
interesting.  My hard disk must be on the *third* IDE chain.  I wonder why.
But then sometime later, I installed Debian on another partition, and *it*
considered the same drive to be /dev/hda.  This made it obscure just how to
write a lilo that whould use both device names properly.  Now I know there's
probably a way to do this anyway.  But my question is -- why would different
Linuxes (linuces? Linuses) want to use different devide names for the same
hard disk?

Has this weird naming happened to anyone else?

-- hendrik