Re: OT: Judicial election/appointment (was Re: Is Linux Unix?)

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/biographiescurrent.pdfhttp://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/biographiescurrent.pdf* Jacob S. <stormspotter@6texans.net> [2004 Jul 26 06:08 -0500]:
> Last I heard there was still at least one judge on the Supreme Court
> that was appointed by Reagan. And I believe George W.'s dad only got to
> appoint one to the Supreme, Clinton didn't get to appoint any. That
> leaves quite a few more that weren't appointed by either Bush.

Justices Rehnquist, O'Connor, Scalia, and Kennedy were all appointed by
President Reagan. Jusitces Souter and Thomas were appointed by
President Bush (41). Justices Ginsburg and Breyer were appointed by
President Clinton.  Justice Stevens was appointed by President Ford.

Source:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/biographiescurrent.pdf

> Then you get down to all the various district courts accross the country
> that are definitely Federal and not state (ie. they typically have
> jurisdiction over a couple states each).
>
> In short, I don't know of any president that has been able to remove
> judges (much less all of them) simply because they weren't going to rule
> favorably on the President's legislation.

The reomval of federal and higher judges requires an impeachment
process similar to that used to impeach a president.

I'm not quite sure what the point of the grandparent post was, but
please, get your facts straight first, then you can distort them as
much as you please.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of