Re: OT: Judicial election/appointment (was Re: Is Linux Unix?)

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:57:54AM -0600, s. keeling (keeling@spots.ab.ca) wrote:
Incoming from Paul Johnson:
"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

Actually, being schools, they're probably getting a huge discount.
Still a lot of money, I know.  The important thing for MS is, the kids
are getting hooked early and will grow up expecting it.
Looking at the State of AZ v. Microsoft antitrust settlement...since
when is it legal to settle an antitrust lawsuit paid only in vouchers
extending said violating monopoly?
US-ian judges are elected, are they not?

Varies by jurisdiction.

Superior (county) judges are frequently elected.

State/Federal judges are appointed by governors and presidents,
respectively.  I don't believe any state has an elected judiciary,
although California has recalled Supreme Court justices through
plebiscite.

I believe that all present Federal judges were installed by Dubya's daddy?
After the previous incumbents had appeared reluctant to favourably legislate on his preferred jurisprudential policies.
Regards,

David.