Re: Is Linux Unix?

> *my* rep for shooting it down.  I wonder if she realizes that Portland
> Public Schools wouldn't have to have the teachers work for four weeks
> for free to keep the schools open if it weren't for her idiocy.

Going further off the topic here, that sparked a thought of my own.

My local school system has a pretty snazzy county-wide network.  All the
schools are wired to some obscenely gigantic pipe, and all the networking
guts stuff (router/firewall/proxy/filter) is done with Linux (RH probably).
Yet all the end user machines (several per classroom) are running expensive
copies of Windows with expensive copies of all manner of expensive software.

It just burns my ass really.  No, I'm not going to argue the kids shouldn't
have Sponge Bob Teaches Calculus or whatever, but most of those boxes are
used for web browsing, and maybe some web authoring.  Why pay several hundred
dollars a pop for Windows + software for those things when A) the software
isn't even needed on most of the boxes, and B) the county already uses Linux,
and employs people who know how to admin it?  It just doesn't make sense.

The reason, of course, is because the county can always raise property taxes
again to pay for it all if those copies of Windows get too expensive.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/