Re: question about patching my kernel

On 2004-07-25, Paul Akkermans <paulakkermans@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> Hi erveryone,
>
> I have read al suggestions and advice on how to install my kernel (thanks a
> lot). But the thing is, that I have a school assignment in evaluating a
> linux kernel. I must admit that I am new to linux and so I thought that when
> I installed the newest kernel I was up to date enough for my assignment. But

There is at least a 2.4 kernel package available for Debian Woody. Just do
apt-cache search kernel-image and choose one suitable for your machine. A
2.4 kernel is probably recent enough, unless the assignment is
specifically related to the latest and greatest features introduced in
2.6.

> is it also possible to use the kernel that I have now or are there a lot of
> changes? And how can I look into the source code of this kernel I have now?

Install the kernel-source package corresponding to the kernel you are
running. Then look at /usr/src.

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/