Re: question about patching my kernel

Paul Akkermans wrote:
Paul

Hi everone,

Last week I installed my debian system with a cd-rom I got from a friend. When I was installing Debian I saw that the kernel which was included on the cd-rom was version 2.22. From the website www.kernel.org I saw that version (the stable version) 2.6.7 is available. But the problem is that I have no idea how to upgrade my kernel. Can somebody tell me what steps I have to take to patch my kernel?

2.22 isn't very likely.
At a commandline, enter these commands and post the results:
uname -a
cat /etc/debian_version

This will tell folk here which kernel and version of Debian you have.

You might also explain to us what your kernel does not do that you expect 2.6.7 to do. It's quite possible that your system won't work if you don't go about upgrading your kernel properly, and for most people, whatever the distro, a kernel from kernel.org is probably a mistake.

While you're waiting for anwers, you might also browse www.debian.org where you will find all sorts of info about maintenance, upgrading your software and building your own kernel.

--

Cheers
John