Re: How to de-Grub?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Robert William Hutton wrote:

> I'd recommend that you install LILO using the first woody CD.  LILO, unlike
> GRUB, installs itself exclusively in the MBR, so you don't need some other
> partition for the stage 2 loader which GRUB requires.

That's not correct, although it's a common misunderstanding.  The code in
the MBR is the stage 1 loader.  Its purpose is to load the stage 2 loader
into memory from somewhere else on the hard drive.

The two web pages give an explaination of how booting with LILO works:
http://home.att.net/~lilo-boot/lbuild.htm
http://home.att.net/~lilo-boot/l-i-l-o.htm

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com