Re: How to de-Grub?

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:47:14AM +0000, Stephen Cradock wrote:
> Well, it's a long story!!!
>
> I started trying to install Woody (see "Starting up.." thread a couple of
> weeks ago) - found Woody wouldn't recognize my Intel 845 video chipset.
> Switched to "vesa" but that would only give me 640x480 display.
>
> So I decided to upgrade to Sarge - set up another Linux partition, booted
> up Sarge - it wouldn't detect my network (ethernet) connection. Several
> tries to fix that - no joy. But after failing to establish a network
> connection, I went on with the install, and Sarge installed Grub. That was
> fine - Grub detected my primary OS (Windows XP), and I set that to be the
> default boot option.
>
> Then, as one does when playing with Linux, I went stark staring bonkers,
> and decide to try Gentoo - a friend told me it was much easier to install.
> Rather than make yet another partition, I wiped the Sarge partition and
> installed Gentoo there, from a CD. That went OK, but also failed to detect
> my ethernet card. So it's back to Windows to go online to find out what to
> do next - URGGGH - Grub failed, of course - I had wiped out menu.lst when I
> deleted Sarge. So I couldn't get into Windows, or online with Gentoo.....
>
> Now I want to remove Grub - it has gone and installed itself in my MBR, and
> I don't know how to get it out. Any help?
>
> Stephen Cradock

IIRC you need a dos disk (maybe the window install disk will work if
you use the command line option, or manual repair or something like
that)

Then try running fdisk /mbr to overwrite the mbr. Now check the fdisk
options, there should be an option to set the active boot partition,
set it to the windows one. Hopefully that will do the trick.

For you network card. Try doing from inside linux (assuming it
installed far enough) lspci -vv and look for you network card. During
the installation (at least for the advanced one) you should get an
option to chose extra drivers manually, see if you find the matching
driver this way, or post the information and maybe we can help you more.