Re: Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

  --received from Wim De Smet--

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:58:50 -0700, Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> >   --received from Wim De Smet--

> > > This is, actually, a known problem. Do dpk-reconfigure -plow
> > > mozilla-browser and you will get an option asking you to choose a
> > > wrapper for esd. It is explained there that the plugin locks /dev/dsp
> > > which causes esd to hang. So choose a wrapper here and the problem
> > > *should* be resolved.
> >
> > Hmmmm.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I did as you said and changed
> > my initial selection "esddsp" to "auto".  Start esd, 'esd &'.
> > Start mozilla.  Go to a flash site;  Freezes.  I then set it back
> > to esddsp just to test it again.  Same thing.  I also tried
> > "artdsp" and flash runs and without killing my browser but no sound.
> > Same thing with "none" as would be expected.  So . . . not sure what to
> > say :)
> >

> Strange thing. There might be a bug there. I haven't got this problem
> for a long time now though, but I'm currently not running esd
> apparently (did this go away in 2.6? I don't remember disabling it)
> and I use alsa with OSS emulation.

Maybe I should be doing the same thing.  Do you think this would
solve anything?

If you are not running esd, can you use more than one audio/video
application at the same time and, if so, what enables this?  Are
ALSA drives more sophisticated than OSS ones?

Oh yeah, and why alsa with OSS emulation.  What's the point/advantage
of the emulation.

Since Jacob S. has had the same configuration at one time that I do now
and without a problem, could the difference be the sound card itself?
The only difference between my config and one of the configs Jacob has
mentioned is using esd with a non-OSS driver.  From what I can tell,
the module for my card, cmpci, is not part of the OSS "suite".

Paul
--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu