Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

I just noticed something I didn't notice before.  Since I have learned
I need to kill esd before going to a flash-enabled web site to see the
flash correctly (and not have my browser die), I assumed the flash was
spawning its own esd process.  Actually, I just noticed that, while
flash is playing correctly--without freezing and with sound--no esd
process is running.  So flash must be accessing /dev/dsp directly which
thus must be the problem when an esd process is already running.

Thus, the solution would seem to be (as Wim pointed out) the sound
driver wrapper used by Mozilla.  Unless I'm using it wrongly (again,
I'm using Sarge), it doesn't appear to solve the problem.  I'm assuming
if I'm using esd that I want the value of "esddsp" for MOZILLA_DSP.
Yet neither this nor the value "auto" seems to allow flash to play from
a web browser while esd is running.  In both cases, the flash
animation and the browser itself hangs.  Part of the strangeness
is that this wasn't a problem in Woody.  This has only been the
case since I've upgraded to Sarge (which possibly is due to a
later version of Mozilla?).

paul

  --received from Paul Yeatman--