Re: modules not found after kernel recompile

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:17:40 -0600, CW Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 07:55:27PM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> [...]
> >
> > You normally don't need a modprobe.conf, everything should be in
> > /etc/modprobe.d. modprobe.conf is just an empty file on my system. I'm
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is this true?  Mine (a mostly Sarge with module-init-tools 3.0-pre2-1) has:
>
> # This line loads the part of the modprobe configuration managed with
> # update-modules(8) and built from the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/.
> include /lib/modules/modprobe.conf
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Which seems very important to me (not a GURU here).

module-init-tools in sarge is 3.1-pre5. Maybe it has something to do
with the older version, or maybe you need this if you use udev or
something else. I haven't really looked around for info on the subject
but in any case I don't need it and that means with a somewhat typical
setup it shouldn't be required (I never pull any fancy stuff and I
have hardly ever messed with my modules config)

cheers,
Wim

P.S.: I think we're all waiting here for somebody with a bit more
knowledge to explain it to us after which we can say "ooooh, like
that" :-)