Re: modules not found after kernel recompile

Hi,

First of all sorry to the list that I replied directly to the poster.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:27:21 +0200, blackwings@inbox.com
<blackwings@inbox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:47:28 +0200, "Wim De Smet" <kromagg@gmail.com>
> said:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:34:52 +0200, blackwings@inbox.com
> > The 2.6 kernels use upgraded modutils, they are in the package
> > module-init-tools. You should've read the README before compiling, it
> > usually contains stuff like that...
> >
> > greets,
> > Wim
>
> Hi Wim
>
> I did read the kernel README file. It does NOT mention
> modutils-init-tools at all. However the referenced kernel
> compilation HOWTO at at above mentioned URL stated in
> no unclear terms that modutils-init-tools was to be
> installed prior to compilation, which is what I did.

Oh yeah I didn't really check, but I knew there was some file saying
what version was required (changes). It's kinda tedious to check these
things whenever you upgrade a kernel but from 2.4 to 2.6 is obviously
a big change. I actually read about it in
Documentation/post-halloween-2.6.txt I think.

> Also, /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes says the following:
>
> "A new module loader is now in the kernel that requires
> module-init-tools to use.  It is backward compatible with
> the 2.4.x series kernels."
>
> It goes on to say that the required minimum for module-init-tools
> is 0.9.10. Installed on my system is 3.1-pre2.

It does, I think the version number may simply be wrong.

> There's no man page installed for this package, but doing a
> 'dpkg -L modutils-init-tools | grep doc' yields a pointer to
> the file '/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools/FAQ', which basically
> says that I should run generate-modutils.conf.
>
> No such binary is installed, but I found a file called
> /usr/share/doc/module-init-tools/examples/generate-modprobe.conf.gz
> that seems to be a script for doing this operation.
> I could not avoid seeing that is says not to put much trust in it...

You normally don't need a modprobe.conf, everything should be in
/etc/modprobe.d. modprobe.conf is just an empty file on my system. I'm
not sure what happened now. It seems you used the correct name and
such, so I'm not really sure. I take it module-init-tools was
installed before you configured and compiled your kernel?

There is one hint in the post-halloween doc:
- Some (older) versions of 'mkinitrd' don't search for modules
  that end with .ko, so update your mkinitrd if this is a problem.
Did you make an initrd image?

> And after this comes ALSA config.
> Tried that before, and it was a nightmare.
> Will try again, but I have to have certain
> modules in place first. Every guide I found
> on that one wants you to install ALSA using
> modules, anyway.

Yes, pretty annoying that most guides assume that you don't have
modules in kernel. Just configure the module in your kernel. Install
those modules, install alsa-base and alsa-utils and then try running
"alsaconf". With a bit of luck that should configure everything (as
soon as you got the module problem from above sorted out, that is).

greets,
Wim