modules not found after kernel recompile

Hi!

I have recently upgraded my Debian system (running testing)
from kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 to 2.7.1 by following the standard
method of kernel compilation detailed on the following site:

www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

When I restart, boot messages fly by saying 'FATAL: module <name> not
found'
I then edit /etc/modules, commenting out the lines, and restart again,
this time not seeing any such messages.

I checked /lib/modules/2.7.1/ and it appears that the modules are there.
Is there a broken reference somewhere, so that modules are looked for in
an
incorrect location?

I grepped /usr/src/linux/.config for '=m', to verify that modules were
be built. Also 'make modules' and 'make modules_install' produced no
errors
or warnings.

Running update-modules apparently makes no difference.
Reading the man page for update-modules I see that it is
called obsolete?

Anyone got ideas about what to do?
I sure will appreciate any help!

(sigh)..feeling like the eternal newbie...

thanks in advance,

Inge Thorin Eidsæther
blackwings NOSPAM at NOSPAM inbox dot com