Re: recommendation for digital camera -=> Shameless Nikon plug

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 04:07:50PM -0400, H. S. wrote:
> Apparently, _Micha Feigin_, on 07/18/04 15:26,typed:
> >On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:03:49AM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:
>
> >>(P.S.: If anyone knows anything about Linux support for Nikon, please
> >>point me at it; I'll probably need it eventually...)
>
> I am interested in that too. I can access Canon G5 with gphoto2 but I
> mainly use a card reader to copy pictures. I am looking more towards the
> programs with which I can talk with the camera and customize it. Canonn
> give accompanying S/W for that but only for Windows :(

You could try
http://jalkapallo.org/superkolik/canon.html
and maybe also have a look at
http://ptp.sourceforge.net/

> >>(N.B.:  I will, for identically converse reasons relating to support,
> >>NEVER buy ANYTHING from Fuji EVER again - not even so much as a roll
> >>of film.  And I hope somebody from both Nikon and Fuji is reading this.)
>
> Their films are not that bad, e.g. Superia 200.

I prefer the 100 iso, and Reala, although its way over priced where I
leave. I usually prefer slides though and for I like the colors for
Kodak better.

> >I am looking at linux support for coolpix 4500, and it seems to exist
>
> Doesn't this model and many others by Nikon suffer from low light
> focusing problems? They lack a low-light focusing lamp, Canan doesn't.

The image processing lab ran by my uni supervisor bought it some time
ago (before I started working with them) and they are no thinking of
moving to linux so that we can setup a cluster, so the only thing I
need to show is that it works under linux (and find a cluster that can
migrate matlab ;-)

> >features. I am not sure if it will allow you to access all the features
> >of the camera from linux (some of the high end cameras are customizable
> >and may require dedicated software).
>
> Ah, if it were possible with Canon G5 in Linux, it would soooo great.

Seems like cannon don't really like linux, but take a look at the above
links.