Re: Mutt and accents

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 08:29:51PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to learn how to write text in French so that I can send
> properly accented emails to a friend of mine. Unfortunately we're having a
> problem with the accents that I'm sending through. He's using KMail, and
> I'm using Mutt (not that it should matter)...
>
> I have the following set in .muttrc:
> set allow_8bit
> set charset="iso-8859-15"
> set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15"
>
> I am setting my keyboard layout with the following (I've left the comments
> in just in case anyone else is interested in being able to switch
> keyboards but never knew how before now).
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
>         Option          "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
>         # unfortunately us_intl cannot be combined with another
>         # keyboard mapping. "fr" gives the french keyboard layout
>         # NOTE: this is NOT QWERTY!
>         # test settings with: xprop -root  |grep _XKB
>         # change the setting with:
>         #  sudo setxkbmap us_intl
>         #Option         "XkbLayout"     "us,fr"
>         #Option                 "XKbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"
> EndSection
>
> So all of this is fine and lovely...but something's going wrong when I
> send out the email. My friend is getting Z with a ^ instead of accented
> characters when he tries to read my mail. I can read his mail with no
> problems though (i.e. my mail with my accents quoting his mail with his
> accents works perfectly). As best I can figure out there may be a problem
> with the fact that I'm sending:
> Is that the problem, or does the problem lie somewhere else?
>
> My accented characters look like this: � é á î ç (etc). That should be e`, e�,
> aÂ?, i^ c,.
>
> I'm not even sure where to look for the solution. As best as I try to
> understand character encodings it always manages to muddle my brain. :/

Check your locale. Right now this is mine:
tony@hpd:~$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
tony@hpd:~$

I know that if I change it to UTF8, or latin1 with euro, garbage is
generated (why, I don't know. It shouldn't be) I am able to switch
beteween spanish and english layouts using an XF86Config similar to
your setting.  áéíóú, äëïöü, ñÑ, çÇ

¡¿?!