Mutt and accents

Hello!

I'm trying to learn how to write text in French so that I can send
properly accented emails to a friend of mine. Unfortunately we're having a
problem with the accents that I'm sending through. He's using KMail, and
I'm using Mutt (not that it should matter)...

I have the following set in .muttrc:
set allow_8bit
set charset="iso-8859-15"
set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15"

I am setting my keyboard layout with the following (I've left the comments
in just in case anyone else is interested in being able to switch
keyboards but never knew how before now).
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
        # unfortunately us_intl cannot be combined with another
        # keyboard mapping. "fr" gives the french keyboard layout
        # NOTE: this is NOT QWERTY!
        # test settings with: xprop -root  |grep _XKB
        # change the setting with:
        #  sudo setxkbmap us_intl
        #Option         "XkbLayout"     "us,fr"
        #Option                 "XKbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"
EndSection

So all of this is fine and lovely...but something's going wrong when I
send out the email. My friend is getting Z with a ^ instead of accented
characters when he tries to read my mail. I can read his mail with no
problems though (i.e. my mail with my accents quoting his mail with his
accents works perfectly). As best I can figure out there may be a problem
with the fact that I'm sending:
Is that the problem, or does the problem lie somewhere else?

My accented characters look like this: Ú é á î ç (etc). That should be e`, eŽ,
aÂŽ, i^ c,.

I'm not even sure where to look for the solution. As best as I try to
understand character encodings it always manages to muddle my brain. :/

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]