Re: cd record and woody

Hello

john miller (<jmmiller@voyager.net>) wrote:

> My old Debian system was unfortunately reduced to toast by a UPS
> failure.  I had been using cdrecord and the ide-scsi module happily.
> My new Debian - still Woody - system does not seem to have the
> ide-scsi module anywhere.
> uname
> Linux cbw 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i686 unknown
> I had read that now for the newer kernels direct ide access is the
> preferred route.  When I tried a 2.4 kernel none of my nic ports
> worked, so I stopped experimenting.

This is probably because the 2.4.18 kernel has the driver as a module
that has to be loaded, but the installation kernel has it built-in. You
can by the way also switch to another 2.2.20 kernel:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20

This one should have the ide-scsi driver. If you want more info on what
driver you need for your network card, check the output of dmesg from
the 2.2.20-idepci kernel. It will tell you which driver is used.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976