Re: X Applications as Root User

Hello

Kenneth Jacker (<khj@be.cs.appstate.edu>) wrote:

> Though I know it is discouraged, I have a single-user 'sarge' system
> protected by 'iptables' on which I want to run X11 applications when
> logged in as 'root'.  I can use 'sudo' (e.g., "% sudo xlogo"), but I'd
> rather directly access the apps as 'root' (e.g., "# xlogo").
>
> Though I've searched, I have not found!

What is your error message? Do you "xlibs: connection refused" error? Do
you log into X as a user, and opened a root shell using "su"? You can
allow the super user to access your X session:

# export XAUTHORITY=/home/kenneth/.Xauthority

After that you can start the programs as root.

Or you install some wrapper like sux, gksu oder kdesu. They don't need
any kind of configuration like sudo does.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976