Re: Dependencies in Dir w/ Many .deb Files

Hello

Kenneth Jacker (<khj@be.cs.appstate.edu>) wrote:

> I have a slow Internet connection at home.  :-(
>
> I can't yet use apt-zip since my home 'ppp' link still doesn't work
> (non-"8 bit clean" issues) thus prohibiting me from updating the apt
> database via the net.  :-(
>

> So, in order to temporarily keep my home system current, I am doing
> the following:
>
>   o  Updating my office system (both are running pretty much
>      the same configuration of 'sarge')
>
>   o Copying all the newly installed debs on the office machine from
>     /var/cache/apt/archive to removable media
>
>   o  Bringing that media home and copying the deb files to my home
>   hard drive
>
>   o  Finally, I run "dpkg -i *.deb" on those newly transferred file
>

> The problem with this approach is "*.deb" orders alphabetically
> instead of by dependency.  I must iteratively run the above command
> placing needed debs before the final "*.deb" argument.  That takes
> time (and patience)!
>
> QUESTION: is there some option to 'dpkg' or another command/script
> that
>           will generate the file names in an order such that the
>           dependencies are met?

You can:

- Copy the files in /var/lib/apt/lists from the office machine as well
- Use apt-move on the office machine to move the downloaded files into a
hierarchy that you can add to your sources.list on your home computer,
e.g. using apt-cdrom
- Read the apt-offline howto

best regards
        Andreas Janssen