Re: More info on hostname, domain name, etc.

Hello

Phil Thomson (<philthom@freeshell.org>) wrote:

> Thanks. I'm now starting to think the problem is actually with my
> ethernet card, a DLink DFE-530TX. Debian lists a driver for this
> device (rtl8139), but it says the device is busy when I try to insert
> the module during the install, and gives me the following message when
> I drop into a shell and do "insmod rtl8139":
>
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/net/rtl8139.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/net/rtl8139.o: unresolved symbol
> pci_drv_unregister
> [...]
>
> How do I contact the module supplier? Are there command-line arguments
> I should be doing here?

The driver depends on other modules to be loaded first. Insmod does not
do that for you. Modprobe does:

modprobe rtl8139

echo rtl8239 >> /etc/modules
(to load it at boot time)

Maybe you also want to switch to  another Kernel, you still are using
the one used for the installation. Debian also comes with a variety of
other 2.2.20 and 2.4.18 kernels. Use apt-cache to find them, and
apt-get to install one, if you want. Make sure security.debian.org is
in your sources.list:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686
or
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k7

or whatever your architecture is. The old kernel will not be removed.
The 2.4.18 kernels need to use an initrd to boot, make sure to
configure lilo properly.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270