Re: Newbie problems galore

David A. Cobb wrote:

Jacob S. wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:08:14 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:

First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD
is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian
archive has nVidia patches for 2.4.26.  My plan is to go to .26, but
in the meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so
all that stuff requires rebooting into Windows.

You might be able to get your network working, in which case you won't
need to reboot into Windows.

<snip>

Actually, he mentions nVidia hardware above. By this I assume he means
an nVidia chipset on his motherboard. In which case, his network card
(built into the motherboard) is not recognized unless you have a kernel
newer than 2.4.20 (not sure the exact version where they added it) using
the forcedeth module or by applying nVidia's patches to a 2.4.20 kernel
and using nvnet.
URGGH. Actually, as I said in answer to Kent, "TUN" is able to load and recognize my card. Video matters -- later. I've looked around here at Debian.org enough to know that nVidia presents a major PITA until I can upgrade my kernel. And, until I can reach the net and let apt-get worry about what's missing, that is a thought to horrid to be borne.

Unfortunately, either way would require him to go into Windows to
download stuff, for his nVidia hardware to work in Woody.
David, if your Windows partition really is vfat format, and not running
something like XP which uses NTFS, you probably just need to modprobe
vfat before trying to mount it. Look at Monique's e-mail for a good
fstab example, if you need it.

HTH,
Jacob

Please turn off your request for notification when someone reads your post, when posting to debian-user list.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com