Re: DVD Problem

martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> [2004.07.15.0009 +0200]:
apt-get install smartmontools
smartctl -a /dev/hdc
You will want to set it up to monitor /dev/hda too.

Uh, your CD-ROM drives are SMART-capable? None of mine are...

SMART support is: Unavailable - Packet Interface Devices [this
device: CD/DVD] don't support ATA SMART

SMART is for harddrives, not CD-R* drives.

I don't have any newish CD drives to test against - most of the boxes I use don't have CD drives at all, and the drive in front of me is UDMA2 so I expect too old to be a useful sample.

I don't know that any of my CD drives are smart-capable, but then I've not tested them all either. Do I know they don't exist? No, I don't.

Would it be useful? I think it would.

--

Cheers
John