Re: [Solved] startx setting the nice level to 5?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:06:09PM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Matthias Czapla (<dermatsch@gmx.de>) wrote:
> > Stupid me! I'm an idiot!!! I am sooo dumb...
> >
> > I was running startx with "nohup startx & exit" and nohup increases
> > the priority of the command by five!

Er, of course it's increasing the nice value which actually decreases
the priority... Has been quite late yesterday :)

> By the way, if you use Kernel 2.6, I think it is recommended to let
> XFree run with a nice value of 0.

Thanks for the info. Still running 2.4 though.

As a sidenote, I think nohup really shouldn't be tinkering with the
nice value since it's sole purpose is to ignore the HUP signal; the
man page doesn't even mention the fact that it changes the priority.
Furthermore if I *want* a lower priority I can do it easily myself
with the nice command.

Regards
Matthias