del key and keyboard switching do not work after upgrade of xserver

Hello,
I am using debian unstable. After recent apt-get dist-upgrade I noticed, that in all X applications the del key started to work as the backspace. Also, the switching to other keyboard layout stopped working.
The keyboard layout is set up in the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
Option XkbOptions grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll
Do anyone knows, what is causing this problem?
I suspect, the X server is not using the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, which it always used, but why? And what is it using?
Thanks.
Andrius