Re: startx setting the nice level to 5?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:49:58PM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> > I just noticed that lots of my process run at nice level 5. When I
> > login at the VC the nice level is 0 as it should and all console
> > programs inherit this nice value as they should. But when I startx
> > everything from thereon and including the shell that is executing the
> > startx script has a nice value of 5. The startx script and all the
> > files under /etc/X11 don't contain the string "nice" so I really don't
> > know where this is coming from. Has anybody a clue?
>
> andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
> [...]
> allowed_users=console
> nice_value=0

<lal@ddm /etc/X11>grep nice Xwrapper.config
nice_value=-10

But this nice value is supposed to be used by the X server alone anyway
and not be used by the clients connecting to it. But what's even more
weird is that my X server is running with a nice value of -5. So it
seems like all the children forked by startx and including itself are
being re-nice'ed by +5, resulting in the X server having a value of -5
and everything else a value of 5.

Please correct me but I think that it can only be the xinit program
doing this because it is the only child of startx and no other program
that is not directly descendend from startx could get startx' process
ID which is needed to change its priority, no?

Regards
Matthias