Re: 2.6.7 questions

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:09:05AM -0400, Bradley Alexander wrote:
> I just took the plunge into the 2.6 world, and it rocks. I have a couple of
> lingering issues that I wanted to ask the list about.
>
> 1. USB devices - I have a number of USB devices, from an Archos 20GB mp3
> player (which works) to a Cruzer SD card reader and Lexar jump drive (which
> do not). I cannot get my Palm Tungsten E (/dev/ttyUSB1) to sync. All worked
> under 2.4.26. Another thing I noticed was that under 2.4, I would get a
> system beep when I plugged in a USB device. I do not under 2.6.
>
> The Archos, when plugged in, creates /sys/block/hda/hda1, and I can mount
> that. However the SD card and the jump drive (both are 512MB, but it
> shouldn't matter). I have the built-in (on the motherboard) USB1.1 interface,
> and a Belkin 4-port USB2 switch connected to a PCI USB2 interface.

I have a similar set of toys working nicely on 2.6.2 (Hmm, I should probably
update). Did you remember to enable hotplug support (CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y)?  If
so what do your logs say. When I plug in a jumpdrive I get this in dmesg:

hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port 3, assigned address 2
SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
  Vendor: LEXAR     Model: JUMPDRIVE         Rev: 1.11
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

and similar stuff in /var/log/messages and /var/log/kern.log.

BTW, once you get everything working you should look into using udev. It
really helps manage a large collection of usb dongles because you can have
it generate unique symlinks in /dev (ie /dev/jukebox, /dev/camera) instead
of trying to keep track of what is on /dev/sda1 this time.

HTH

dt
--
Dave Thayer           | WARNING: Persons denying the existence of
Denver, Colorado USA  | robots may be robots themselves.