Re: Still no sound in Flash

mshapiro_42@yahoo.com said:
> Sound does work for everything else, just not flash.  I can cat a .au
> file to /dev/dsp and it works (as root, or a user, since I am in the
> audio group).  I can also play music CDs with XFreeCD with no problem.
> When I run a flash program, however, the speakers are silent.  Well,
> almost silent -- if I turn the volume all the way up I can hear some
> buzzing and clicking in the background, but nothing more.

My girlfriend's computer had a similar problem for a long time. All
kinds of /dev/dsp-using programs worked, but not sound in the flash
plugin. It was like this in Redhat 9, Fedore Core 1, but the problem
went away in Fedora Core 2. That coincide's with Fedora's change from a
2.4 to a 2.6 kernel (along with lots of other upgrades, of course). I
realize this is debian-user, but it might help.

I did all the basic debugging you mentioned -- the problem was
definitely not contention for /dev/dsp, nor was it mixer settings or
permissions or anything simple like that. It was broken in both mozilla
and firefox.

The only other theory I had was that it was related to sample rate, but
I never got around to testing this because the FC2 upgrade fixed it.
Anyway, that's plausible, because it's possible that flash is the only
thing attempting to play sound at anything other than the CD audio
sample rate of 44.1 kHz.

Why don't you try using sox or something to make files at various sample
rates and see whether they all play properly? I've definitely heard of
sound cards/drivers that had problems with some sample rates and not
others.

Jason