Re: Still no sound in Flash

on Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:48:16PM -0400, Mike Fieschko insinuated:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:19:57 -0400
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > a friend pointed out that the first thing galeon (or opera, i
> > guess) will try to do when you open a flash movie will be to see
> > if it can access the sound device.  if something else has been
> > using it, for whatever reason it thinks it can't use it too, even
> > if it's not currently in use (do a `fuser /dev/dsp` to find out).
> > so, if i want to watch a flash movie, the first thing i do upon
> > starting X is to go to one and play it.  sound is fine for me in
> > flash if it's the first sound thing i access.  if i've used xmms
> > or ogg123 or something before then, it won't work.
>
> [snip]
>
> Since I've had a possibly similar problem, are you saying that you
> need to restart X (and not just your window manager),

actually, i'm not sure, now that you ask.  i think you might just need
to restart your window manager.

> to get rid of the error that another process is accessing /dev/dsp ?

but yes, that is what i was saying.  obviously, it's not the Right Way
to go about solving this problem, but it's the only way i've found to
date.

> Any idea what it is that's causing the bogus error message that
> /dev/dsp is in use when it's not in use?

well, for me, i don't get a bogus error message (sorry if that wasn't
clear).  if flash in galeon won't play sound, i use `fuser -v
/dev/dsp` to find out if the device is in use.  more ofter than not,
it's not in use (or so says fuser), but sound still won't play.  i
don't think that this means that the device actually _is_ in use;
rather, i think it's galeon getting confused, and checking once to see
if the device is in use, and then caching the result and never
checking again.

now that i think about it, maybe one would just have to restart one's
browser, in that case.  but i'm not at home where this problem is, and
can't check it right now ... ymmv; let me know what you find out.

hth,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++