Re: Still no sound in Flash

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:19:57 -0400
Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> a friend pointed out that the first thing galeon (or opera, i guess)
> will try to do when you open a flash movie will be to see if it can
> access the sound device.  if something else has been using it, for
> whatever reason it thinks it can't use it too, even if it's not
> currently in use (do a `fuser /dev/dsp` to find out).  so, if i want
> to watch a flash movie, the first thing i do upon starting X is to go
> to one and play it.  sound is fine for me in flash if it's the first
> sound thing i access.  if i've used xmms or ogg123 or something before
> then, it won't work.

[snip]

Since I've had a possibly similar problem, are you saying that you need
to restart X (and not just your window manager), to get rid of the error
that another process is accessing /dev/dsp ?

Any idea what it is that's causing the bogus error message that
/dev/dsp is in use when it's not in use?