Re: dselect alternatives

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 06:39, Paul Johnson wrote:
> ricktaylor@speakeasy.net writes:
>
> >> From: Paul Johnson [mailto:baloo@ursine.ca]

> >  Why not?
>
> Why are you asking me?  It wasn't me that said it...

Sorry it was ME. Dselect though still useful... is really all about
installations, no not After install, during machine initial setup.

ever seen:  apt-get dselect-upgrade

It takes the setting from "dpkg --set-selections" and runs it through
the mill.

Apt-get has MUCH MUCH better dependency handling (yes I know about that
in dselect). Ask Joey Hess about dselect, he will flatly tell you to not
use dselect. I believe Colin will have similar recommends.

apt-get is flat out much better. Some people are now recommending
aptitude as it has a more sane handling of suggests and recommends.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux