Re: dselect alternatives

Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> writes:

>> >  Why not?
>>
>> Why are you asking me?  It wasn't me that said it...
>
> Sorry it was ME. Dselect though still useful... is really all about
> installations, no not After install, during machine initial setup.
>
> ever seen:  apt-get dselect-upgrade
>
> It takes the setting from "dpkg --set-selections" and runs it through
> the mill.
>
> Apt-get has MUCH MUCH better dependency handling (yes I know about that
> in dselect). Ask Joey Hess about dselect, he will flatly tell you to not
> use dselect.

I'd be surprised by that.  I seem to recall Joey switching to aptitude,
but I don't recall hearing him ever complain about dselect.

> I believe Colin will have similar recommends.

I'm pretty sure Colin still uses dselect.  In fact most developers still
have a soft spot for dselect.

> apt-get is flat out much better.

I'd ask you to back that up, but I know you can't...

> Some people are now recommending aptitude as it has a more sane
> handling of suggests and recommends.

Actually, I've seen aptitude do some pretty bizarre things when it comes
to dependency resolution.  More than once I've noticed it pulling in
packages from experimental without my consent.  That's a definite no-no.

--
You win again, gravity!