Re: what package to install a *working* X?

Silvan wrote:

Once upon a time, on Woody, all I had to do was apt-get install konqueror, and that pulled in X, kdelibs, etc.

I've installed Sid a few different times lately (last few months), and I've always had problems getting X. apt-get install kde pulls in xfree86-common, I think, but there's no X, no xinit, no xterm, etc. I did an install today, and there was some breakage that made things even more difficult than usual. It was quite a pain in the ass getting an X server installed. (I wound up having to add testing, unstable, *and* experimental to sources.list to get around all the broken deps and get everything I needed installed.)

Shouldn't there be one package, or one metapackage that installs a complete, working X server with all the support apps, all the screen fonts, etc. requires to make the thing useful? If so, WTF is it? And why doesn't installing konqueror or just any graphical application depend on the installation of a working X server anymore? That hasn't been the case in months, and it seems completely broken and wrong-headed to me. What good is konqueror if you can't run it? Is there some way to run konqueror without an X server? How about kdm?

Which xserver?

I install vnc on quite a few boxes. They don't need graphics cards. I don't run K on those boxes, but I could.

You don't have to have {x,g,k}dm either.

I suppose it's reasonable to barf if you have _no_ xserver, but it shouldn't mandate which one. Just like (IMV) Debian shouldn't inflict exim on us:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait