Re: starting X hangs on network timeout (hosts file ignored)

Incoming from Steven Satelle:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:58:40 +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> >
> > [...] this is how it's supposed to work. host(1) is an
> > interface to the resolver library, which does not use /etc/hosts by design.
> >
> > The problem is that it seems that a few other things seem to be
> > ignoring the /etc/hosts file also.
>
> what package are you getting host from, I dont have it on my system. whats
> in your /etc/resolv.conf, mine has
> search personal.ie
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

If you want to augment that, it may be dependent on the
package/transport you use to set up your network.  I use pppd and I
see there's a /etc/ppp/resolv/provider that lists "nameserver
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" records to be used to create resolv.conf

- -