From: Silvan [mailto:dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 July 2004 2:50 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: what package to install a *working* X?

Once upon a time, on Woody, all I had to do was apt-get install
konqueror, and
that pulled in X, kdelibs, etc.

I've installed Sid a few different times lately (last few months), and
I've
always had problems getting X.  apt-get install kde pulls in
xfree86-common,
I think, but there's no X, no xinit, no xterm, etc.  I did an install
today,
and there was some breakage that made things even more difficult than
usual.
It was quite a pain in the ass getting an X server installed.  (I wound
up
having to add testing, unstable, *and* experimental to sources.list to
get
around all the broken deps and get everything I needed installed.)

Shouldn't there be one package, or one metapackage that installs a
complete,
working X server with all the support apps, all the screen fonts, etc.
requires to make the thing useful?  If so, WTF is it?  And why doesn't
installing konqueror or just any graphical application depend on the
installation of a working X server anymore?  That hasn't been the case
in
months, and it seems completely broken and wrong-headed to me.  What
good is
konqueror if you can't run it?  Is there some way to run konqueror
without an
X server?  How about kdm?

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may
be privileged and confidential, and are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or responsible for
delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please REPLY TO the
SENDER to advise the error AND then DELETE the e-mail from your system.
Any views expressed in this e-mail and any files transmitted with
it are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of our organisation.
Our organisation does not represent or warrant that
the attached files are free from computer viruses or other defects. The user
assumes all responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or
indirectly from the use of the attached files. In any event, the liability to
our organisation is limited to either the resupply of the attached files or the
cost of having the attached files resupplied.