Re: xdm won't start; console 7 broken

on Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:50:59AM -0400, Nori Heikkinen insinuated:
> on Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:03:51PM +0200, Joerg Johannes insinuated:
> > Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb Nori Heikkinen um 16:42:
> > > after shutting down xdm the usual way friday afternoon
> > > (/etc/init.d/xdm stop), i now can't get it to start via the
> > > usual way (/etc/init.d/xdm start).  it tells me:
> > >
> > > Starting X display manager: xdm already running.
> > >
> > > (which it's not), and for that matter, looking at the tail of
> > > /var/log/xdm.log tells me:
> > >
> > > Mon Jul 12 10:32:08 2004 xdm error (pid 1473): process-id file
> > > /var/run/xdm.pid indicates another xdm is running (pid 762);
> > > exiting
> > >
> > > indeed, /var/run/xdm.pid DOES contain that pid, but afaict, it's
> > > defunct.  `kill -9 762` doesn't do anything, and console 7 (on
> > > which i run X) is just a blinking cursor right now.
> > >
> > > this is so weird!  i don't want to reboot my machine, as i have
> > > remote processes writing to its drives right now.  how can i
> > > either kill this zombie and start up X on console 7, or, failing
> > > that, tell X to ignore the zombie and start up on console 6 or 8
> > > or something like that for the time being?
> >
> > How about /etc/init.d/xdm restart ?
>
> wow!  that worked.  it ALSO just solved the problem i brought up in
> an earlier thread, about the entire screen freezing up and not
> responding to any keyboard or mouse input.

well, let me amend that.  the freezing thing just happened AGAIN (this
is getting obnoxious), and this time a restart didn't do jack ... hm.

> > Do you see the process in ps -ae ? If not, I'd try to remove the
> > xdm.pid file and see what happens (This might be harmful!).
>
> yeah, i thought about that ... not sure what the repercussions would
> be, though.  glad i could solve it in a Better Way this time round.

okay, i just had to use this for the above problem, and it appears to
have no adverse side effects.  good.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++