Re: xdm won't start; console 7 broken

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:42:14 -0400
Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> after shutting down xdm the usual way friday afternoon
> (/etc/init.d/xdm stop), i now can't get it to start via the usual way
> (/etc/init.d/xdm start).  it tells me:
>
> Starting X display manager: xdm already running.
>
> (which it's not), and for that matter, looking at the tail of
> /var/log/xdm.log tells me:
>
> Mon Jul 12 10:32:08 2004 xdm error (pid 1473): process-id file
> /var/run/xdm.pid indicates another xdm is running (pid 762); exiting
>
> indeed, /var/run/xdm.pid DOES contain that pid, but afaict, it's
> defunct.  `kill -9 762` doesn't do anything, and console 7 (on which i
> run X) is just a blinking cursor right now.
>
> this is so weird!  i don't want to reboot my machine, as i have remote
> processes writing to its drives right now.  how can i either kill this
> zombie and start up X on console 7, or, failing that, tell X to ignore
> the zombie and start up on console 6 or 8 or something like that for
> the time being?

If "ps ax | grep xdm" doesn't show anything, I would do a "rm
/var/run/xdm.pid". If you're concerned about doing this, you could
always try "startx -- :1" as the user you want logged into x.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #44:
Windows: The first user interface where you click Start to turn it off.