Re: xdm won't start; console 7 broken

On 07/12/04 10:50, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

[snip]
this is so weird!  i don't want to reboot my machine, as i have remote
processes writing to its drives right now.  how can i either kill this
zombie and start up X on console 7, or, failing that, tell X to ignore
the zombie and start up on console 6 or 8 or something like that for
the time being?

Nori, I'm no expert, but this works for me with gdm to start a 2nd x session on console 8 when launched from console 1-6:

$ DISPLAY=:1 startx -- :1

Good luck!