Re: xdm won't start; console 7 broken

on Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:03:51PM +0200, Joerg Johannes insinuated:
> Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb Nori Heikkinen um 16:42:
> > after shutting down xdm the usual way friday afternoon
> > (/etc/init.d/xdm stop), i now can't get it to start via the usual way
> > (/etc/init.d/xdm start).  it tells me:
> >
> > Starting X display manager: xdm already running.
> >
> > (which it's not), and for that matter, looking at the tail of
> > /var/log/xdm.log tells me:
> >
> > Mon Jul 12 10:32:08 2004 xdm error (pid 1473): process-id file /var/run/xdm.pid indicates another xdm is running (pid 762); exiting
> >
> > indeed, /var/run/xdm.pid DOES contain that pid, but afaict, it's
> > defunct.  `kill -9 762` doesn't do anything, and console 7 (on which i
> > run X) is just a blinking cursor right now.
> >
> > this is so weird!  i don't want to reboot my machine, as i have remote
> > processes writing to its drives right now.  how can i either kill this
> > zombie and start up X on console 7, or, failing that, tell X to ignore
> > the zombie and start up on console 6 or 8 or something like that for
> > the time being?
>
> How about /etc/init.d/xdm restart ?

wow!  that worked.  it ALSO just solved the problem i brought up in an
earlier thread, about the entire screen freezing up and not responding
to any keyboard or mouse input.

now, granted, this ROCKS, but i'm very confused as to why it works.
how is it possible that `/etc/init.d/xdm stop` + `/etc/init.d/xdm
start` are different than `/etc/init.d/xdm restart`?  i was under the
(apparently false) impression that the latter just called both of the
former, as what you see on the screen when you do a restart is the
same as what you'd ese if you tried to stop and then start it.  can
anyone confirm that this is not, in fact, what's happening?

> Do you see the process in ps -ae ? If not, I'd try to remove the
> xdm.pid file and see what happens (This might be harmful!).

yeah, i thought about that ... not sure what the repercussions would
be, though.  glad i could solve it in a Better Way this time round.

thanks!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++