Re: Using Linux on a Family PC

Silvan wrote:
On Thursday 08 July 2004 02:37 am, David Baron wrote:

There are, as I posted, many decent kids games on linux. Some are specific
to KDE (a windows-like desktop for linux), some for Gnome (yet another) and
others will work on all X-windows systems. My daughter enjoys "Frozen

That's a bit misleading. Everything should work on everything, regardless of what libs it's built against. apt will install whatever libs you need to run whatever you want, and it doesn't matter what else you're running on top of X. I've run any number of such things from a raw xinit session with no window manager at all. (Hardly ideal or practical, but if that works, everything should work.)

I agree.
On my own desktop PC, I use XFCE but still use the Gnome & KDE apps I like.

And, David, thank you for letting me know about TuxPaint.
I already thought of Frozen-Bubbles and TuxRacer myself.

BTW, from your 'explaining' what KDE & Gnome are, I got the impression you thought I'm new to Debian (& GNU/Linux). I'm not. I'v been happily running unstable for almost 2 years now.

Regards,

Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman

the QuiX project - Open Source Software Development
E-Mail: quix@free.fr
Web:    http://www.quix.tk/