problem upgrading postfix

i've been having trouble upgrading my system recently.  it looks to be choking on postfix.

|scarlet log|# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  postfix
Suggested packages:
  postfix-mysql postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre
Recommended packages:
  resolvconf
  postfix
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/757kB of archives.
After unpacking 201kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 41566 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace postfix 2.0.16-4 (using .../postfix_2.1.3-1_i386.deb) ...
Disconnected; connection lost (Connection closed.).

it kills all my open ssh sessions.  the next time i log in, it says to run "dpkg --configure -a" manually before i can use apt-get.  i've tried removing postfix.  this is the error i get then.

|scarlet root|# apt-get remove postfix
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  postfix
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 1688kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
dpkg: error processing postfix (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 postfix

it comes up in dselect as a module that needs to be reinstalled, broken extra package in section mail.  but i no longer have the postfix_2.0.16-4.deb and can't find it.  and dpkg -reinstall postfix_2.1.3-1_i386.deb poops out.

thanks

i stand on the edge of now,
patiently accepting the future that rushes towards me,
quietly watching the past scamper away.