Re: Slow disk - hdparm, S.M.A.R.T, badblocks, what else?

On Thursday 08 July 2004 06:59 am, Karsten M. Self wrote:

>   - Bad drive?

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I think it quite likely.  One of those
old reports you read might have been mine.  I don't remember the model number
I had, but if yours is one of the ~5400 RPM 40 GB Maxtors, the one I had was
junk.  Mine died barely into the three year warranty, and I didn't even
bother to return it and get the replacement.  (I cut it in half,
actually.  :)

I have a 7200 RPM Maxtor based on a Quantum design that has run flawlessly for
a good long while now.  This drive is black.  The other one was silver.

If you can, I think I'd try a different drive.  You may not have much choice
anyway.  When mine decided to die, it gave me no real warning.  Weird
problems, but nothing I could really put my finger on.  I kept thinking it
was the kernel, or the ext3 filesystem, or my hdparm settings.  Running it
all ext2 seemed to get it going.  Then, as luck would have it, mere hours
after I copied its contents onto another drive, it started head bashing.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/