Slow disk - hdparm, S.M.A.R.T, badblocks, what else?

I'm trying to find out why my disk performance is so slow -- 150x worse
than a comperable system -- and what I can do to improve it.

I've got a system with a painfully slow disk.  The worse as it's serving
as a Samba server for a small domain (ten workstations).  Saturated
802.1g WiFi is disk-starved presently.  System response under any I/O
load is glacial.  'top' routinely reports load averages of from 2 to 10+
with 99% idle CPU.  Memory utilization is generally nominal, and was
*not* an issue in the tests below, though disk performance pretty much
precisely sucked.

Using hdparm, I'm getting disk reads at 128 kB/sec.  A comperable drive
on a similar system rates nearly 150 times faster[1], at 18 MiB/sec.
I'd expect the slow drive to be capable of similar.  2.4.25 kernel on
x86 HW.  All reports following are with the system booted single-user
and running minimal services.

I *am* applying hdparm options including both DMA and UDMA (either mode
2 or 4, not entirely sure).

Specifically:

    # hdparm /dev/hda
    /dev/hda:
     multcount    = 16 (on)
     IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
     unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
     using_dma    =  1 (on)
     keepsettings =  0 (off)
     readonly     =  0 (off)
     readahead    =  8 (on)
     geometry     = 4982/255/63, sectors = 80041248, start = 0

The disk is a Maxtor 54098U8 40 GiB UMDA66 drive.

It's S.M.A.R.T capable, and I've run some additional diagnostics using:

  - hdparm (-i -tT and no options)
  - smartctl (-L -S -X -a -c -g -i -L and -v options)
  - badblocks (no results when I left)
  - bonnie++ (a disk testing utility -- no results when I left)
  - Additional diagnostics:  cpuinfo, dmesg, free, iostat, lsmod, lspci,
    and the /proc/ide/piix file.

The results may be seen at:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/slow-drive/

Comparative results for a fast system similarly configured (but
different HW) is at

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/slow-drive/fast-drive.tar.gz

I installed the ide-smart and smartsuite packages, with which I'm pretty
unfamiliar.  One result which appears interesting, though I'm not sure
it's significant, is the output of 'smartctl -v /dev/hda', which shows a
large value in the Raw Read Error Rate attribute's Raw Value (smartctl
-a /dev/hda):

    Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
    Revision Number: 16
    Attribute                    Flag     Value Worst Threshold Raw Value
    (  1)Raw Read Error Rate     0x000a   253   252   000       343037
    (  3)Spin Up Time            0x0027   182   179   063       27627
    (  4)Start Stop Count        0x0032   253   253   000       1910

The other drive has 0 rather than 343037.

I see *no* CRC or other errors in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log.
syslog is largely uninterrupted series of "MARK" entries.

I do find a number of similar postings googling for 'hdparm kb/sec',
many involving Maxtor drives of various models, but no clear
resolutions.

  - Bad drive?
  - Bad configuration?
  - More data needed?  If so, what?
  - Other?

Assistance very much appreciated.

Peace.

Notes:

1.  149.36 times, if you're doing the math.

   Rules of Spam:  #0:  Spam is theft.