Re: Anyone do DV editing (Kino and Cinelerra)?

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:00:44PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Ok, I'm playing with Kino -- works reasonably well, although segfaults
> when trying to control my Sony camera where dvgrab and gscanbus work
> fine at running the camera.  Now I want to try Cinelerra.
>
> Can someone explain a bit about capturing.  I found what seems like an
> old tutorial at <http://www.robfisher.net/video/kino.html> says to use
> dvutils (dv2mov and dvmov2dv) to move between formats.
>
> I've found the dvutils in source at:
>
>   http://www.singingwizard.org/programming.html
>
> But that page says the utils are deprecated in favor of using Kino
> directly.
>
> Ok, so I can use kino or dvgrab --format qt to export to .mov, BUT
> there's no audio.  dbgrap reports:
>
>   quicktime_encode_audio_stub called
>
> so it looks like I can encode the video, but not the audio.
>
> Any idea what's needed to get the audio?  Does dvgrab need to be
> recomplied and linked with a library that will encode the audio?
>
> dvgrab:
>   Installed: 1.5deb-2
>   Candidate: 1.5deb-2
>   Version Table:
>  *** 1.5deb-2 0
>         500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> By the way -- any pointers to tutorials would be great.  I'm also
> curious about the difference between the raw1394 and the dv1394
> drivers (and when to use each).
>
> Thanks,

Have you tried encoding first as mpeg? I have a sony minidvd
dcr/trv33, and I have edited sucessfully movies with kino. A while
ago, so details are not clear in my memory. But I know that I didn't
use mov format, which according to another post in this thread has
some bugs in debian (the corresponding lib)